Monday, April 29, 2019

Fancy Pants


Well, I just shook hands and chatted with a three-star general—Tom Stafford. He flew two Apollo missions and two Gemini missions. Clay Boyce introduced me as the author who is writing his biography. He was a very pleasant man and soft spoken. Prior to flying the space missions (and possibly afterwards, I don’t know) he was a fighter pilot, then a test pilot. I asked him, “Which was the scariest, the test-pilot?”
This made him smile. Such silly questions. “They both were both interesting. As a test pilot, we flew the plane to assess its capabilities.”
I guess it’s less scary if no one is shooting at you.
Clay explained, “The first flight was the most dangerous… that was to assess whether or not it could safely fly.”
“The test pilot came next. We determined what it was capable of,” General Stafford added.
I took a seat on Clay’s armrest of his easy chair and listened as they chatted about ablative engines and thrust chambers. I kept a semi-fascinated expression pasted to my face, as I wondered what the heck they were talking about. I’ve become used to these over-my-head conversations over the last two years of writing about Clay, but usually I interrupt for clarification. His history is very interesting to me because I get to document his entire life. As I excused myself I heard the general ask Clay what he thought that bubble was that had formed on the nozzle of the Soyuz engine. Clay eagerly jumped into the analytical discussion.
The simple task of moving from one hotel to another (downtown) turned into a fiasco of driving in circles. Apparently they’ve changed the freeway system and how the ramps are configured. I lost track of how many times Clay said, “This doesn’t look anything like it used to!” We finally managed to get on a surface street. I’m sorry if you are one of the people who designed the highway system in Houston, but they’re horrible.
But it was all better when we arrived at the Hyatt Regency downtown. That’s an impressive hotel. Giant. The elevators have glass windows, so going to the 28th floor was like being on an amusement park ride. Clay got an upgrade to a fancy suite almost as big as my house.
Joe and I went for a walk in the subterranean passageways winding through the downtown area. That was super cool. They even have stores down there and a food court. The only glitch in our transition to downtown is Clay left his iphone at the last hotel.
At 5:30 Joe and I descended to the lobby. We’d transformed ourselves from our usual scruffy look to fancy-pants. Joe looked stunning in his tux and I felt quite elegant in my purple velvet dress. Clay arrived fashionably late in his tux and we checked into the 33rd annual RNASA Gala. This is the who’s-who in the space industry.
I couldn’t possibly remember all the astronauts, generals, commanders, engineers, inventors, and company presidents I saw or met… suffice it to say it was a lot.
The memorable ones were, Richard Korhs, Tom Stafford, Eileen Collins (my fav), and of course William Shatner. For me, the best part was the awards given to the “Early Career” people in their twenties. They’re so young and so brilliant. It’s hard to believe the next astronauts who will go to Mars are currently even younger (9-17 years old now).

We followed the crowd (over 500 people) down to the lobby to continue the party. That’s when Joe lost his credit card. I found it on the floor after half an hour of panic. I crawled into bed around midnight like an exhausted toddler. Today we still couldn’t locate Clay’s phone and he was struggling to keep a positive attitude… so I started teasing him about it… I’ve read somewhere that helps. My punishment for harassing an octogenarian was to forget my fanny pack and my passport at security-checkpoint. I recovered it, thank goodness. 
We lounged around the AA Admirals Club for several hours and headed over to our gate. That’s when I can happily say we concluded our adventure on a happy note. The first hotel called me to tell me they found Clay’s phone.
Now all we have to do is land in Sacramento and get our limousine ride home. What a memorable trip! Something to remember forever. I only wish my dad was alive, so I could tell him all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment