Saturday, June 1, 2019

Isla Mujeres, one week down!


Today finds me planted at a café called Mogagua. It’s on a busy little corner in the middle of town. I just downed a double-shot macchiato and have jittery fingers, so excuse me if this blog post seems a little intense! I should probably eat something. Izzy is writing a book, so she’s scribbling away on a notebook we bought at the grocery store.
Every morning we go for a speed walk. The other day Izzy and I decided to go past the little airport and loop around it to extend our walk by maybe twenty minutes. That turned into a two hour and fifteen minute walk… turns out there’s a lagoon past the runway. We kept expecting to be able to cut across the island, but it just kept going and going. Finally we cut across somebody’s dirt yard. We were a little lost, so we followed a Chihuahua and found our way to the other side.
Today on our walk we noticed the roads were closed along the ocean avenue. I asked a photographer what was happening. He answered in detail... I think. I didn’t understand a word he said. There’s certain accents that are so rapid and warbled it’s almost impossible to understand, and when you say you don’t understand, they just repeat themselves the same way. For example, Izzy and I got a taxi to the super-mercado mid-island—3 bucks. On the way there we chatted with the driver the whole way. Coming back our driver chatted the whole way, and I just stared at him in bafflement. The only thing I caught was that he is 100% Mayan and a boxer. Anyway back to our walk… It’ turned out to be a children’s 5k run. The parents and teachers lined the street, but I managed to catch video of the start.
Joe just showed up. Time to eat. After laboring over the menu I decided to stick to Mexican food and ordered enchiladas suizas. It’s a chicken enchilada with green sauce… yummy.
I’ve discovered stuffed animals this time. I’ve seen them before, but this time they have more. I’m in love with this little lion. The jewelry is gorgeous here. We came across an artist who macramés necklaces with local stones in them. Just beautiful. There’re a couple of shops with very good leatherwork: handbags, belts, and wallets.
We’ve discovered a few new places to hang out (besides this coffee shop). El Patio has a comfy bench seat with cushions and is known for its live music. Our official favorite is the Tiny Gecko. It’s on the windy side about halfway down the ocean walkway. They have beer at half the price and very cheap tacos. We order guacamole.The other night a skinny old dude who looked Amish stopped and introduced himself as the musician performing in a moment. I could imagine what he would play and how he would sing. I was wrong. He started by playing Sweet Home Alabama on an electric guitar and substituted Alabama for California.
Then he attached a bizarre mustache and beard, and played ZZ Top! He was actually very good, and of course being ten feet from the crashing waves wasn’t too bad either.
The guys here are smitten with Izzy. They keep trying to sneak conversations with her when Joe’s looking the other way. We were in a shop the other day and I could tell the salesman was liking Izzy. Pretty soon he asked her if she was buying a present for her boyfriend. She said no she doesn’t have a boyfriend, as she tossed her blonde ponytail. He whispered in her ear, “Do you want a boyfriend?” She laughed at that one. Guys in America aren’t that brave.
This chair cushion is killing me… I’m calling it quits for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment